In line with the Makerere University Research Policy, CEES aims at providing pedagogical and andragogical auxiliary support and systems to the staff, students and other education stakeholders to carry out research on education in and outside Uganda. This will be done by:
- Establishing an Institute of Educational Research to house the research support services such as personnel, databases, and ICT facilities.
- Mobile resources to support educational research in Uganda and the region.
- Carry out research training and mentorship for students and staff.
- Mobilise funds for PhD and postdoctoral training for staff and other stakeholders in the field of education.
- Liaise with relevant Government Ministries for research collaboration and support.
- Create multidisciplinary research groups in CEES and with other partners across the world.
- Liaise with other colleges in Makerere University on potential collaborative research.
- Provide ICT and other support to Staff and students doing research in CEES.
- Study and pilot new pedagogical innovations.
Drawing from the Ministry of Education and Sports Education Sector Strategic Plan (2007-2015), the Makerere University Strategic Plan (2008/09-2018/2019), Makerere University Research Agenda (February 2013), the CEES strategic Plan (2011/12-2018/19), the National Development Plan (2010/11-2014/15) and the Uganda Government Vision 2040, the following areas were identified as strategic areas for CEES research concern:
- ICT and Pedagogical integration in Ugandan education subsystems.
- Identification and research in new pedagogical areas
- Integration of human rights in Ugandan schools
- Curriculum reforms in Uganda
- Early Childhood Development (training and access)
- Gender issues in pre-primary, primary and post primary education in Uganda
- Education, poverty and national development.
- Education and the environment
- Education, language &culture
- Science education and national development